Let me start this post with a word of caution. If you happen to make Jamaican Lentil Stew with Coconut and realise at the step where it says to add curry paste, that you have no curry paste, DO NOT be tempted to substitute laksa paste. The dried shrimp in the laksa paste WILL be noticeable and make your whole stew take on a slightly fishy, not-quite-right taste. NO amount of curry powder or any other seasoning will take this away….
On a slightly more successful note I thought I would share with you one of my lunch time favourites. Sardine Spread. Sounds gross (and looks terrible) but it is really nice! I promise! This spread is good on crackers, in a sandwich or wrap or to eat with carrots or celery sticks. Sardines are super good for you – they are rich in omega-3, calcium, protein and vitamin D, so eat up.
Sardine Spread Recipe
(makes enough for 2 sandwiches)
- 1 tin sardines in spring water
- 2 TBSP reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- gherkin, chopped finely (optional)
1. Drain sardines and put in a small bowl
2. Add remaining ingredients and mash with a fork until the mixture forms a smooth paste