I have a fairly large spice and herb collection. it is wonderful. Instead of buying jars of spice pastes and sauces, I make my own. This way I don’t end up with a fridge full of half used jars designed made to feed families. It also means I know that I am eating good, wholesome ingredients and can healthily add flavour to food. It’s an investment well worth it in my eyes.
My homemade “tandoori” chicken is far from authentic but is packed with flavour and super moist (I apologise for the use of that word, but it had to be done). The chicken is marinated in spices overnight and then grilled quickly giving it a crunchy charred outer and succulent middle.
“Tandoori” Chicken Recipe (adapted from Tandoori Style Chicken – Food.com)
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
I served my chicken on top of a cucumber raita with snow peas. It would also be fabulous with rice and a green salad.