I am a woman on a mission at the moment. I’m going away tomorrow and I seriously don’t like food going to waste so I’m trying to eat my way through the perishable contents of my fridge. After surveying my fridge this morning I came up with this decadent porridge recipe.
It turned out very sweet and creamy, reminding me of rice pudding. I topped my oats with greek yoghurt, passionfruit curd, toasted coconut and toasted, sliced almonds. I loved how the sweetness of the oat mixture was cut by the yoghurt and the toasted toppings broke the creaminess.
I quite often have toasted nuts on my oats. It sounds like a lot of hassle but doesn’t need to be. Just chop them up and pop them in a small microwaveable dish. Nuke them a minute at a time until they are golden and you can smell them cooking. So simple and delicious.
Creamy Tropical Oats Recipe
1/3C rolled oats
2/3C light evaporated milk
1/2 banana, sliced
1t chia seeds
1 ring of tinned pineapple, chopped into bite-sized pieces (fresh would be even better)
1/2t coconut essence
1/2TBSP desiccated coconut
1/2TBSP sliced almonds
1. Heat oats, evaporated milk, water, banana and chia seeds in a saucepan at a moderate temperature.
2. Whisk every few minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy
3. Meanwhile, toast coconut and almonds in the microwave (see above for how to do this)
4. Add pineapple
5. When fruit is heated through, stir through coconut essence
6. Pour into a bowl and top with yoghurt, passionfruit curd, coconut and almonds.
If I make this again I think I would add sultanas in with the oats. You could also substitute the pineapple for mango.