I’m not a huge meat-eater so for a meat dish to appeal to me it has to be quick, hassle-free and tasty. All this nice Spring weather has got me dreaming of long days outside and gatherings around the barbeque. That, and the fact I’m trying to up my lean protein intake, made this recipe from the Women’s Health Magazine appeal.
I adapted the recipe to serve two and increased the amount of sauce and meat each person gets (very important!). The original recipe says that you’ll have extra sauce to serve with the kebabs but after doubling it I only just had enough to brush on the meat.
This would make another quick and tasty mid-week meal. I served mine on a green salad but if you wanted a bit more of a substantial meal it would go great with rice and/or grilled veges.
Sweet ‘n’ Sour Chicken Kebab Recipe (adapted from the Women’s Health Web Site)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 small tin of pineapple chunks or rings in juice
- 1 red onion
- 1 green capsicum
- salt and pepper
- 6T salsa or ketchup (I used a mix of both because I only had a little salsa left)
- 1TBSP soy sauce
- 2TBSP cider vinegar
- 1/2t coriander flakes (fresh coriander would be awesome but I keep killing mine)
1. Soak skewers in water
2. Mix salsa, soy sauce, vinegar and coriander in a small bowl to make the
3. Chop up chicken breast, pineapple, onion and capsicum into bite size pieces
4. Thread chopped ingredients onto soaked skewers and season with salt and
5. Reserve half of the marinade (so it doesn’t get contaminated with raw chicken
juice) and brush the remaining half over the kebabs.
6. Grill kebabs until the chicken is cooked through and charred on the edges
7. Heat reserved marinade and pour over kebabs
8. Try and look civilised while devouring kebabs off the skewer